Skip to main content

Emergency help when you’re overseas

NZ Embassies can help you if something goes wrong while you’re outside NZ.

Check the official COVID-19 website if you are currently oversees.

International travel — COVID-19 website

Urgent after-hours help

Call the Consular Emergency Assistance number if, for example, you’re reporting a death, serious illness or injury, or arrest of a NZ citizen.

What NZ embassies can help with

NZ embassies can help you or give you advice if something goes wrong while you’re outside NZ.

They can also help with general advice so you can help yourself, and during crises such as civil unrest and natural disasters.

Find an embassy

What NZ embassies cannot help with

Consular and embassy staff cannot:

  • pay bills for hotels, travel, legal or medical expenses or the costs of returning a body to NZ
  • give you legal advice, investigate a crime or get you out of prison
  • get you better conditions in prison or hospital than a local
  • provide you with financial help — except in a real crisis, and you’ll have to pay any money back
  • operate a mail service for you or store your stuff
  • become involved in civil disputes.

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated